5 reasons why you should use time tracking
Do you want to know why you should track your time, who gets more from adapting the whole time tracking concept and which fields find it really useful? Using our experience, we made a quick overview of what most companies and people need to really benefit from tracking their time.
We´ve prepared an overview of the needs of people and companies, who can benefit the most from using time tracking.
1) Tracking time for billing - When you work for your clients on a daily basis, either directly by the hour or indirectly by the fixed prices for a project (which more or less reflect your time anyways), tracking your time is basically a must.
Typical users from this category are consultancy companies, graphic design and architecture studios as well as most of the freelancers.
2) Tracking your expenses - You usually work on company projects, internal or external, but your time is not directly related to the money the company bills for the goods or services. However, the cost of the team´s working time in the form of a wage equates or even exceeds all of the other project costs. Knowing your time is crucial to accurately evaluate your expenses and to be able to focus on meaningful projects.
Typical users of this group are all administrative and service departments in mid-size or bigger companies, such as marketing, development of new products or customer support. Especially if your company offers extended customer support, it is important to know, how much time you spend with the individual client to calculate your profits.
3) Overview of your working time - When the members of your team work in an independent, more flexible mode and/or operate in the various parts of the world and time zones, with different workloads, it’s key to know how much time they are spending on their work. Even if you don´t care about your projects costs, you need to know when people are at work, who was sick, etc. It’s helpful to keep basic track of the attendance, even if you don´t watch over them every minute.
You can most likely find yourselves in this category, if you are an international startup, an enterprise with a great deal of part time jobs or a company that follows current trends and offers its‘ employees flexible working engagements, such as working from home.
4) Productivity improvement – This is in general for your team and yourself. It comes from humanity‘s age long desire to go as fast and far as we can, to climb as high as we can and to do the most that we can in our time. In the everyday world, the meaning of a productive lifestyle is to make the best possible use of our time. Thanks to time tracking, you can not only track and evaluate how well you are doing with this goal, but you can also take a step back and find new ways, how to get more out of your day.
And a typical member of this category? The common characteristics would be some kind of brain-intensive work, a craving for perfection and a will to manage activities, which should take 40 hours, in a 24 hour day.
5) Achieving a life balance for the sake of improving one’s quality of life. This is usually a person, who doesn´t feel obligated to work 16 hours a day, and who is searching for more time for his family, hobbies, sport - in general, to improve his or her life. In this case, tracking one’s time provides a general overview of how well you are doing in spending your time the way you want.
And who belongs here? Generally speaking, it’s the people who value their time the most. Most likely, people in this group have gotten themselves far enough in a matter of everything else - successful entrepreneurs, managers, specialists with a stable position, etc. It’s quite common, that people from the fourth category end up here after achieving their goals in their work life. However, frankly speaking - We all want to have time for things we enjoy. We all belong here.
Can´t find yourselves in any of the above-mentioned categories? Don be upset about it! The way we spend and deal with time is unique for all of us, just as we ourselves are. We are trying to make primaERP a tool, which suits and complements your habits, not change them.
Share with us your way of using primaERP or the way you would like to use it in your life!